Red Flag Warnings
COSCA trails may also be closed during "Red Flag" fire weather. The National Weather Service issues Red Flag warnings when the potential for fire becomes high in Southern California. Fire potential increases when the following conditions occur:
- Hot, dry weather
- Wind from the east at speeds of 25 mph or more, gusts of 35 mph or more
- Low relative humidity, at or below 15%
- Abundant dry vegetation
During Red Flag conditions please be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out for smoke. If you see smoke, please report it! Also, always let someone know your whereabouts, and be prepared to evacuate quickly.
During Red Flag Warnings please adhere to the following guidelines:
- No smoking.
- No fire of any kind.
- Curtail any work that will involve equipment that can spark a fire.
- Keep fire suppression equipment, shovels, fire extinguishers and/or garden hoses handy and in good condition.
Although we always want people to enjoy Conejo Open Space, it may also become necessary to close the Open Space if any of the following additional conditions exist:
- Fire currently in the local area
- Reason to suspect arsonist operating in the area
- Draw down of fire resources in the local area
- Winds sustained over 30 mph, gusts over 45 mph
- Burning Index over 175
- Over 180 days since precipitation
- 14 days since overnight moisture recovery